2011-05-09 product update
This Rapid7® NeXpose® release features improvements to communication between the NeXpose Security Console and distributed NeXpose Scan Engines.
These release notes document what's new in the next NeXpose release. Your NeXpose installation will automatically download and install content updates. If you have enabled NeXpose to install product updates, it will do so as well. See the third FAQ.
Improvements to console/engine communication and scan data retrievalImprovements to communication between the NeXpose Security Console and distributed NeXpose Scan Engines help you keep better track of distributed scan activity.
- Default configuration settings for communication between the NeXpose Security Console and NeXpose Scan Engines have been enhanced, so that communication can be less affected by network bandwidth or latency issues. The Scan Engines administration page, which is used for configuring these settings in the Web interface, is also easier to use, with clearer instructions. NOTE: Any changes made on the Scan Engines page require a restart of the security console to take effect.
- Console/engine communication is more robust for better recovery from disruptions due to network resource issues, improving the consistency of scan-related updates.
- Console/engine communication mechanisms for starting distributed scans now use less network bandwidth, so that you can be more confident of scans starting successfully in networks with resource limitations.
Upcoming release requires database migrationThe recently released Next Generation Database architecture, which includes PostgreSQL 9, features significant scalability and performance improvements.
A major release scheduled for July 2011 and all releases that follow it will require the PostgreSQL 9 database to be running. If you have not yet migrated your database to PostgreSQL 9, we strongly encourage you to do so as soon possible.
To run the simple migration procedure, first download and review the guide, Migrating the NeXpose Database. This document includes detailed instructions on how to prepare for, run, and monitor the migration. After reviewing the guide, go to the Database Migration page, which you can access by clicking the maintenance link on the Administration page of the console Web interface. You'll find a series of FAQs that guide you through preparing your environment and running the migration.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
- How will I know NeXpose has updated with this specific release?
All updates are listed on the News page of the NeXpose Security Console Web interface.
- Why doesn’t the most recent date on the News page match the dates of the current updates on the Administration page?
You may occasionally notice that the most recent date on the News page does not match the dates of the current updates listed on the NeXpose Security Console administration page. The dates on the News page are official release dates. The dates on the console page indicate when updates were actually applied to your NeXpose installation.
- What are content updates, and what are product updates?
Content updates include new checks for vulnerabilities, patch verification, and compliance with security policies. Product updates include performance improvements, bug fixes, and new features in NeXpose.
- Why are installers not updated with every release?
To help you stay on top of an ever-growing number of security threats, Rapid7 makes the delivery of new security content timely and convenient. After installation and first-time start-up, NeXpose continues to update itself dynamically. This makes it unnecessary for Rapid7 to update installers with every release of security content. So, you don't have to download installers every time new content is available.
- Does this dynamic self-updating cause NeXpose to restart?
Yes. You may notice NeXpose taking longer to start for the first time after installation. You may also notice it restarting more than once as it completes a required sequence of updates.
- Where can I get more information about this release?
Interact with the Rapid7 Community by joining our e-mail list, registering on the Wiki, and joining us on the Rapid7 IRC Channel. For more information, go to http://community.rapid7.com.