2012-02-01 product and content updates
This Rapid7® Nexpose® 5.1.1 release features new and updated vulnerability checks and improvements to Web spidering, coverage, and fingerprinting.
These release notes document what's new in this Nexpose release. Your Nexpose installation will automatically download and install content updates. If you have enabled Nexpose to install product updates, it will do so as well. See the third FAQ.
Fingerprinting improvements | product
Fingerprinting improvements helps you track assets better, provide a more comprehensive software inventory, and present more accurate information on vulnerabilities.
- Improved Fingerprinting for Oracle Java, Adobe Flash and Microsoft Office on Mac OS X.
- The version of Cisco Internetwork Operating System (IOS) is now correctly fingerprinted in all cases.
Scanning improvement | product
Improved detection for the vulnerability announced in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS10-070 reduces potential false positives.
Web spidering improvements | product
- Persistent cross-site scripting detection has been improved for SQL injection flaws and for certain Web scanning configurations.
- Vulnerability reporting of the HTTPOnly flag for HTTP cookies has been improved.
- Scan times have been improved on target services other than HTTP on port 80.
Coverage improvements | content
New checks for Java and Adobe Flash on Mac OS X expand security coverage.
Fingerprinting improvement | content
Adobe Flash Player is now fingerprinted on non-Windows platforms to help you track assets better, provide a more comprehensive software inventory, and present more accurate information on vulnerabilities.
Bi-monthly vulnerability check update | content
New vulnerability and patch checks bring coverage up to date for the following operating systems and applications:
- OS X
- Cisco devices
- IBM AIX
- Java Runtime Environment
- Mozilla Firefox
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux
These checks help prevent security breaches that could allow hostile parties to take control of affected systems, gain access to confidential data, disrupt business operations, or cause other problems.
- Linux 32 | Update ID: 907924255
- Linux 64 | Update ID: 3322072356
- Windows 32 |Update ID: 4038596404
- Windows 64 | Update ID: 1683549019
Installers Released on January 23, 2012 (see fourth FAQ).
md5sum filesDownload the appropriate md5sum file to ensure that the installer was not corrupted during download:
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
- How will I know Nexpose has updated with this specific release? All updates are listed on the News page of the Nexpose Security Console Web interface.
- Why doesn’t the most recent date on the News page match the dates of the current updates on the Administration page?
You may occasionally notice that the most recent date on the News page does not match the dates of the current updates listed on the Nexpose Security Console administration page. The dates on the News page are official release dates. The dates on the console page indicate when updates were actually applied to your Nexpose installation.
- What are content updates, and what are product updates?
Content updates include new checks for vulnerabilities, patch verification, and compliance with security policies. Product updates include performance improvements, bug fixes, and new features in Nexpose.
- Why are installers not updated with every release?
To help you stay on top of an ever-growing number of security threats, Rapid7 makes the delivery of new security content timely and convenient. After installation and first-time start-up, Nexpose continues to update itself dynamically. This makes it unnecessary for Rapid7 to update installers with every release of security content. So, you don't have to download installers every time new content is available.
- Does this dynamic self-updating cause Nexpose to restart?
Yes. You may notice Nexpose taking longer to start for the first time after installation. You may also notice it restarting more than once as it completes a required sequence of updates.
- How can I obtain more information about this release?
If you have purchased Nexpose, contact our Technical Support Team at Support@Rapid7.com. If you are using the Community version of Nexpose, go to http://community.rapid7.com.
- Where can I find announcements for other releases?
You can find all release announcements in the Rapid7 Community at https://community.rapid7.com/community/nexpose/nexpose_release_notes?view=docume nts.
Join the Rapid7 Community!
Learn tips and tricks, engage with your peers,
and keep up with the latest product developments.