Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
The Nexpose release notes document what's new in each Nexpose release. You can view the release notes in the Community.
Your Nexpose installation will automatically download and install content updates. If you have enabled Nexpose to install product updates, it will do so as well. For information about restarting Nexpose after updating, see the third FAQ.
- How will I know Nexpose has updated with this specific release?
All updates are listed on the News page of the Nexpose Security Console Web interface.
- Why doesn't the most recent date on the News page match the dates of the current updates on the Administration page?
You may notice that the most recent dates on the News page do not match the version dates listed on the Nexpose Security Console Configuration panel. The dates on the News page are official release dates. The dates on the Security Console panel indicate when the update files were finalized.
- When will Nexpose restart?
Nexpose will install the updates in the background if scans are currently running and will restart automatically when the scans complete. If you receive error messages after installing updates, stop or pause any scans and restart Nexpose.
- Does this dynamic self-updating cause Nexpose to restart?
Yes. You may notice Nexpose taking longer to start for the first time after installation. You may also notice it restarting more than once as it completes a required sequence of updates.
- What are content updates, and what are product updates?
Content updates include new checks for vulnerabilities, patch verification, and compliance with security policies. Product updates include performance improvements, bug fixes, and new features in Nexpose.
- Why are installers not updated with every release?
To help you stay on top of an ever-growing number of security threats, Rapid7 makes the delivery of new security content timely and convenient. After installation and first-time start-up, Nexpose continues to update itself dynamically. This makes it unnecessary for Rapid7 to update installers with every release of security content. So, you don't have to download installers every time new content is available.
- Are there any functional differences between the Nexpose software installation and the Virtual Appliance?
The features available in the Nexpose software installation are identical to those in the Virtual Appliance. In both cases, your license determines the scope of features available to you.
- How can I obtain more information about this release?
If you have purchased Nexpose, contact our Technical Support Team at Support@Rapid7.com. If you are using the Community version of Nexpose, go to http://community.rapid7.com.
- Where can I find announcements for previous releases?
You can find all release announcements in the Rapid7 Community at https://community.rapid7.com/community/nexpose/nexpose_release_notes?view=docume nts.