Before you can begin using Nexpose you must activate your license.
How do I activate my license?
After you register online you will receive an e-mail with your product key and activation instructions. Follow these steps to activate:
- Start Nexpose
- Enter the user name and password that you created during installation on the Log on screen.
- After you click the Log on button, the Security Console displays an activation dialog box.
- Enter your product key and click Activate.
Where is my key?
Your Nexpose product key is your access to all the features you need to start using Nexpose like running scans and creating reports. If you did not receive your key:
- Check your spam folder.
- Make sure you are using a business (email@example.com), educational (firstname.lastname@example.org) or personal domain (email@example.com) account. Free accounts such as Gmail, Yahoo, AOL and Hotmail are not permitted.
Product keys are good for one use. If you are performing the installation for a second time you will need a new key. If you are using the Community edition of Nexpose click here to register for a new product key.
I have a key, but I still can’t activate.
Retry activating your license when you complete any of the troubleshooting techniques outlined below:
Did I enter the product key correctly?
- Verify that you entered the product key correctly.
Is there an issue with my browser?
- Clear your browser cache.
- Confirm the browser you are using is supported. See the Logging on topic in Help for a list of supported browsers.
Are my proxy settings correct?
- If you are using a proxy server, verify that your proxy settings are correct because inaccurate settings can cause your license activation to fail.
In Nexpose, go to the Administration page and click Manage settings for the Security Console to open the Security Console Configuration panel. Select the Update Proxy to display the Proxy Settings section
Ensure that the address, port, domain, User ID, and password are entered correctly.
- If you are not using a proxy, ensure the Name or address field is specified as updates.rapid7.com. Changing this setting to another server address may cause your activation to fail. Contact Technical Support if you require a different server address and you receive errors during activation.
Are there issues with my network or operating system?
- By running diagnostics, you can find operating system and network issues that could be preventing license activation.
Go to the Administration page and click Diagnose and troubleshoot problems with the Security Console.
Select the OS Diagnostics and Network Diagnostics checkboxes.
Click Perform diagnostics to see the current status of your Nexpose installation. The results could point to reasons that activation is failing, such as, if DNS name resolution failed, if firewalls are enabled, and if the gateway ping returns a DEAD response.
- Confirm that all traffic is allowed out over port 80 to updates.rapid7.com.
- If you are using Linux, open a terminal and enter telnet updates.rapid7.com 80. You will see "Connected" if traffic is allowed.
- If you are using Windows, open a browser and enter http://updates.rapid7.com. You should see a blank page.
- White-list the IP address of the application server on your firewall so that it can send traffic outbound to http://updates.rapid7.com.
- Make the same rule changes on your proxy server.
- If you see an error message after adding the IP address to a white list you will need to determine what is blocking the application.
Are there issues with firewalls in my network?
- Confirm that host-based firewall and antivirus detection are disabled on the system you are installing Nexpose on.
- Ensure the IP address of the application server is white listed through firewalls and content filters. This will allow you to reach the update server and pull down any necessary .jar files for activation and updates.
Have I tried everything?
- Restart Nexpose, in some cases a browser anomaly can cause an error message that your activation failed. Restarting Nexpose may be successful in those rare cases.
If you continue to experience activation issues, please use one of the following support options:
- Enterprise, Consultant and Express Edition users: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Seven-day trial users: email@example.com
- Community users: community.rapid7.com
Is this page helpful?
If any of these suggestions aren't clear, please post a comment and let us know!