AnsweredAssumed Answered

Total newb question

Question asked by Matt Walker on Dec 1, 2014
Latest reply on Dec 6, 2014 by Derek Sooman

So hey, I'm new to all the security stuff. I dont have a job at any company or anything like that, but have become very intrigued by security systems, firewalls and networking etc and want to learn about pen testing and the possibility of improving job prospects perhaps?

I'm trying to learn all this stuff in my personal time, simply as I can't afford to go back to uni again and not only that, but I'm not a great programmer and don't do well in academic environments, hence why I want (and need) the freedom to learn on my own. But its not easy finding free resources. But this seems a good spot.

I've literally just installed Metasploitable 2 and kali linux on Oracle VM - Both systems boot and both systems are using host-only network mode.

I've played a little bit with them, running from: Metasploitable 2 Exploitability Guide - But I'm already hitting errors within the first part - the rlogin -l root 192.xxx.xxx.xxx its prompting me for the remote password - which as I understand from the document - that shouldn't happen.

I thought I may need to update kali linux but obviously being a VM I'm not connected to the internet - So when I tried to update to the latest metasploit frame work (sudo apt-update && apt-upgrade) - "Once you have downloaded Kali, you can update to the latest version of metasploit that is available in the repos by issuing the "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" command."

Is there a way I can get this to work within a VM image?

Would I still be able to run through the guide if I installed Metasploitable and Kali-Linux on 2 seperate machines and connected them with an ethernet cable? - obviously I imagine I'd have to disable any and all wireless network adapters to be on the safe side.

Any help would be great. - I also get that plenty of people are going to want to tell me how stupid I am and how hard everything is gonna be, but I already get that its gonna be difficult and as for being stupid - whats so stupid about wanting to learn something new?

Any ways, many thanks in advance!!

~Matt

Outcomes