6 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2012 2:32 AM by sinn3r

Which Metasploit edition ?

Hay.

Being a free user of Metasploit, em confused which Metasploit edition should I use (in windows), I want it without any registration problems/errors, since I saw Professional version usable for 7-days. What should I do to keep a free copy of Metasploit with no expirations ...

Thanking you  ...

• Re: Which Metasploit edition ?
          sinn3r

You want the community edition if you want the GUI.  But of course, this edition is nowhere as powerful as the Pro edition.

Or you can use download Metasploit Framework by following this:

http://www.metasploit.com/download/subversion-download/

If you plan to use Metasploit for development purposes, then you want to follow this instead because we use git for dev now, not svn:

https://github.com/rapid7/metasploit-framework/wiki/Metasploit-Development-Envir onment

1 of 1 people found this helpful

Thanks, basically, my intension is to use msfconsole (command line), currently, I have Pro installed but not sure whether it will work beyond trial period or not (7-days, as stated on main page), IF yes, will I be able to update it from command line or add modules manually ? IF it is applicable for 7 days only, should I chose Community edition to ensure that it will work regularly and I can update it or add new modules manually.

Looking again, for your supportive, kind guidance. Have a good time, respected !

ckirsch

Sorry for the confusion - let me clarify:

• All editions for Metasploit come with Metasploit Framework (command line console). Metasploit Framework does not require any registration to run.
                  • Metasploit Pro trials last 7 days and cannot be renewed. Even if the trial expires, you can continue using Metasploit Framework.
                  • Metasploit Community product keys are free and valid for one year and can be extended indefinitely by re-registering. Even if the Metasploit Community license expires, you can continue using Metasploit Framework.

Most users register for Metasploit Community and either use it on its own or in combination with Metasploit Framework, depending on what task they are trying to solve.

Does this help?

Chris

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      ckirsch

I just got an offline comment from someone - I guess I need to clarify further. There are in fact three versions of the "command line":

1. Metasploit Framework - development trunk: Included with all versions of Metasploit. All exploits committed to the project are immediately available as updates. Exploits and framework updates are available more quickly, but this version is also more prone to breaking because submissions are not QA'ed.
                      2. Metasploit Framework - stable trunk: This is updated once a week with QA'ed features and exploits. It's the basis for the commercial UIs, e.g. the free Metasploit Community Edition and Metasploit Pro.
                      3. If you have a license of Metasploit Pro, the command line command set of the stable trunk will be larger, including the so called "Pro Console" commands. These make some of the Metasploit Pro-only features available from the command line.

Chris

Thanks Chris !

It really helped a lot, so I should go with Community Edition. Again, thanking you ... 

sinn3r

>> Exploits and framework updates are available more quickly, but this version is also more prone to breaking because submissions are not QA'ed

Chris, yeah they are.  QA begins when people make the pull request.  They are reviewed and tested before going into the trunk, that is also often where code is heavily modified to meet the standards.  And then for a period of time, the QA department will do additional automatic testings (which fire against even more targets) before they're merged to Pro.